FRENCH FRIES and Sloppy Sauce
- 2 large long potatoes
- 2 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp dill pickle juice
- 1Slice potato lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick per slice.
- 2Then cut each slice into narrow strips for fries cutting them all as close to the same size as you can.
- 3Heat shortening in 6 quart weighted sauce pan on medium high to high heat. A pan with a weighted bottom will conduct and hold the heat more evenly. When shortening is hot enough, you will be able to see the heat rise. At this point, carefully drop all of the fries in the oil. The grease will splatter . . . Be careful!
- 4Fries will cook for 15 minutes. Do not stir other than to make sure they are in the oil at first. When done, remove browned fries from oil with tonges, a spatula, or a big spoon with holes. Salt to your liking while hot. Drain on paper towels.
- 5Make your classic "Sloppy Sauce" while fries are cooling. In a small bowl, whip together mayonaise, ketchup, and pickle juice with a fork.