Low fat carrot mug cake with vegan options
- 1/4 flax egg (1 teaspoon flax, 2 teaspoons water) (or 1/4 of an egg)
- 1/2 teaspoons oil, I used safflower
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 2.5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I used demerara)
- 1.5 teaspoons coconut flakes (optional, will increase fat content)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese or vegan cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons soy milk
- 1 teaspoon maple sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Mix ground flax and water to form a flax egg. Let it sit for a minute, then add the oil and vanilla. Mix.
Add the carrots, applesauce, and walnuts. Mix.
In a separate bowl add the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt. Mix.
Add dry mixture to wet mixture and mix.
Lightly grease an oven safe mug. Spoon mixture into mug, pat down and smooth.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes. Then use a knife to work around the edge and remove the cake. Let cool completely.
Mix the frosting ingredients and put frosting on cake. Enjoy!