My version of Thai Basil Beef (Pad Ka Prao) with dried chillies, topped with fried eggs
- 400 g Beef mince (or chicken or pork)
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 10 g Large Dried Chillies (mild), roughly pounded
- 2-4 Small Dried Chillies (hot), roughly pounded
- 1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Thai Seasoning Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sasuce
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Soy Sauce (or Kecap Manis)
- 1 tsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 handful Basil or Thai Holy Basil
- Optional Fried Egg:
- 2 Eggs
- Oil for frying
- Spicy Fish Sauce (Nam Pla Prik)
- 3 Red Chillies, cut into thin slices
- 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic + large dried chillies + small dried chillies. Fry until fragrant
Add beef mince, break it up the lumps. When the beef is almost cooked through, season with oyster sauce + Thai seasoning sauce + sugar + sweet soy sauce + soy sauce. Keep frying over medium heat until it's dry-ish.
Add basil leaves. Turn off heat. Stir to mix.
In a small pan or pot, add oil up to about 1 cm height. Heat over high heat until oil is hot. Add one egg. Let the egg white cook until it's crispy.
When the egg white is crispy enough, gently scoop up the hot oil over the top of the egg to evenly cook the egg whites, and creates a thin coating over the egg yolk. Remove from pan. Repeat with the second egg.
Mix together fresh chillies + fish sauce. Serve everything together with steamed rice.